- Contains over 6,000 entries and over 260 illustrations, primarily focusing on architectural history
- Fully revised and updated, with hundreds of new entries including individuals such as Sir Francis Bacon and Liang Ssu-ch'eng, and many landscape architecture terms, including hortus conclusus and Zen garden-design
- Comprehensive coverage of architectural, garden, and landscape terms with clear definitions
- Includes mini-bibliographies for all entries, as well as the fully updated and expanded bibliography at the rear of the book
New to this edition
- Over 900 entries new to this edition
- Dozens of new biographical entries of deceased architects and related professions, including Marjorie Sewell Cautley, Leberecht Migge, Blunden Shadbolt, and Ellen Biddle Shipman
- Hundreds of new entries on garden and landscape architecture such as battle-garden, hameau, New Perennials, and snail-mount
- The bibliography has been fully updated and expanded, and incorporated into this new edition (while it was previously only available online)
Containing over 6,000 entries from Aalto to Zwinger and written in a clear and concise style, this authoritative dictionary covers architectural history in detail, from ancient times to the present day. It also includes concise biographies of hundreds of architects from history (excluding living persons), from Sir Francis Bacon and Imhotep to Liang Ssu-ch'eng and Francis Inigo Thomas. The text is complemented by over 260 beautiful and meticulous line drawings, labelled cross-sections, and diagrams. These include precise drawings of typical building features, making it easy for readers to identify particular period styles.
This third edition of The Oxford Dictionary of Architecture has been extensively revised and expanded, with over 900 new entries including hundreds of definitions of garden and landscape terms such as Baroque garden, floral clock, hortus conclusus, and Zen garden-design. Each entry is followed by a mini-bibliography, with suggestions for further reading. The full bibliography to the first edition (previously only available online) has also been fully updated and expanded, and incorporated into this new edition.
This is an essential work of reference for anyone with an interest in architectural and garden history. With clear descriptions providing in-depth analysis, it is invaluable for students, professional architects, art historians, and anyone interested in architecture and garden design, and provides a fascinating wealth of information for the general reader.
Readership: Anyone interested in architecture or garden/landscape architecture: students of architecture, garden and landscape architecture, or architectural history; professional architects, landscape architects, visitors to churches, country houses, etc.
L'auteur James Stevens Curl
James Stevens Curl, Professor of Architecture, University of Ulster.
L'auteur Susan Wilson
Susan Wilson, Landscape Institute.
Caractéristiques techniques du livre "Oxford Dictionary of Architecture"
|Éditeur(s)||Oxford University Press|
|Auteur(s)||James Stevens Curl, Susan Wilson|
|Nb. de pages||1040|
|Format||15,5 x 23,5|
Livraison à partir de 0,01 € en France métropolitaine (1)
Paiement en ligne SÉCURISÉ
Livraison dans le monde
Retour sous 15 jours
+ de 700 000 livres disponibles