Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction
- A lively, engaging, and authoritative introduction to the hot topic of consciousness
- Serves as a much-needed launch pad for the further exploration of this complicated, controversial, and unresolved issue
- Challenges readers to reconsider key concepts such as personality, free will, and the soul
- A clear overview of the subject that combines the perspectives of philosophy, psychology and neuroscience--unlike all the other books available on the subject
- Part of the VSI series; over 1 million have been sold
Consciousness, 'the last great mystery for science', has now become a hot topic. How can a physical brain create our experience of the world? What creates our identity? Do we really have free will? Could consciousness itself be an illusion? Exciting new developments in brain science are opening up debates on these issues, and the field has now expanded to include biologists, neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers. This controversial book clarifies the potentially confusing arguments, and the major theories using illustrations, lively cartoons, and experiments.Topics include vision and attention, theories of self and will, experiments on action and awareness, altered states of consciousness, and the effects of brain damage and drugs.
Readership: General readers interested in this controversial hot topic as well as those studying neuroscience, biology, psychology, and philosophy.
L'auteur Susan Blackmore
Susan Blackmore, Visiting Lecturer, University of the West of England.
Autres livres de Susan Blackmore
- Why the mystery
- The Human Brain
- Time and Space
- A Grand Illusion
- The Self
- Conscious Will
- Altered States of Consciousness
- The Evolution of Consciousness
Caractéristiques techniques du livre "Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction"
|Éditeur(s)||Oxford University Press|
|Nb. de pages||144|
|Format||11 x 17,5|
|Intérieur||Noir et Blanc|
Livraison à partir de 0,01 € en France métropolitaine
Paiement en ligne SÉCURISÉ
Livraison dans le monde
Retour sous 15 jours
+ d'un million de livres disponibles