This groundbreaking book is the first in the Kimball Toolkit series to be product-specific. Microsoft's BI toolset has undergone significant changes in the SQL Server 2005 development cycle. SQL Server 2005 is the first viable, full-functioned data warehouse and business intelligence platform to be offered at a price that will make data warehousing and business intelligence available to a broad set of organizations. This book is meant to offer practical techniques to guide those organizations through the myriad of challenges to true success as measured by contribution to business value.
Building a data warehousing and business intelligence system is a complex business and engineering effort. While there are significant technical challenges to overcome in successfully deploying a data warehouse, the authors find that the most common reason for data warehouse project failure is insufficient focus on the business users and business problems. In an effort to help people gain success, this book takes the proven Business Dimensional Lifecycle approach first described in best selling The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit and applies it to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 tool set.
Beginning with a thorough description of how to gather business requirements, the book then works through the details of creating the target dimensional model, setting up the data warehouse infrastructure, creating the relational atomic database, creating the analysis services databases, designing and building the standard report set, implementing security, dealing with metadata, managing ongoing maintenance and growing the DW/BI system. All of these steps tie back to the business requirements. Each chapter describes the practical steps in the context of the SQL Server 2005 platform.
The target audience for this book is the IT department or service provider (consultant) who is:
- Planning a small to mid-range data warehouse project;
- Evaluating or planning to use Microsoft technologies as the primary or exclusive data warehouse server technology;
- Familiar with the general concepts of data warehousing and business intelligence.
The book will be directed primarily at the project leader and the warehouse developers, although everyone involved with a data warehouse project will find the book useful. Some of the book's content will be more technical than the typical project leader will need; other chapters and sections will focus on business issues that are interesting to a database administrator or programmer as guiding information.
The book is focused on the mass market, where the volume of data in a single application or data mart is less than 500 GB of raw data. While the book does discuss issues around handling larger warehouses in the Microsoft environment, it is not exclusively, or even primarily, concerned with the unusual challenges of extremely large datasets.
L'auteur Warrren Thornthwaite
Warren Thornthwaite est un consultant renommés dans le domaine du data warehouse.
Autres livres de Warrren Thornthwaite
- Requirements, Realities, and Architecture.
- 1. Defining Business Requirements
- 2. Designing the Business Process Dimensional Model
- 3. The Toolset
- Developing and Populating The Databases
- 4. Setup and Physical Design
- 5. Designing the ETL System
- 6. Developing the ETL System
- 7. Designing the Aanalysis Services OLAP Database
- Developing The Bi Applications.
- 8. Business Intelligence Applications
- 9. Building the BI Application in Reporting Services
- 10. Incorporating Data Mining
- Deploying and Managing The Dw/Bi System
- 11. Working with an Existing Data Warehouse
- 12. Security
- 13. Metadata
- 14. Deploying the BI System
- 15. Operations and Maintenance
- Extending The Dw/Bi system
- 16. Managing Growth
- 17. Real-Time Business Intelligence
- 18. Present Imperatives and Future Outlook
Caractéristiques techniques du livre "The Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit"
|Auteur(s)||Joy Mundy, Warrren Thornthwaite|
|Nb. de pages||760|
|Format||19 x 23|
|Intérieur||Noir et Blanc|
Livraison à partir de 0,01 € en France métropolitaine
Paiement en ligne SÉCURISÉ
Livraison dans le monde
Retour sous 15 jours
+ d'un million de livres disponibles