Are We Ready for the Next Plague?
Can America handle the outbreak of a deadly disease?
As the human population explodes and globalization continues, diseases can spread from one country to another as fast as an airplane can fly. Whether a virus is unintentionally released via our modern transportation system, or deliberately by terrorists, even a small scale biological "event" could have a profound effect on our society. Yet our current public health system is completely unprepared to detect and respond quickly enough to avert a disease-related crisis.
Microbe does more than detail the threats that face us today. Containing riveting accounts of barely averted catastrophes (including outbreaks of West Nile virus, SARS, and hantavirus), the book examines the disjointed, ineffective system we all rely upon to keep us alive and healthy. More important, the book presents a solution to stop outbreaks and minimize the impact of an epidemic.
Illustrated with two hypothetical stories (an outbreak of bird flu in Southern California and a bioterrorism attack in Denver) Microbe looks at the potential effects of health disasters -and offers practical steps to stop them in their tracks.
L'auteur - Alan P. Zelicoff
Alan P. Zelicoff, M.D. (Albuquerque, NM) is a physician, physicist, and senior scientist at Sandia National Laboratories, an engineering and science lab operated by Sandia Corporation for the US Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. The inventor of the Syndrome Reporting Information System for the rapid dissemination of disease information, he has written for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.
L'auteur - Michael Bellomo
Michael Bellomo (Burlingame, CA) holds a Six Sigma Black Belt certification and has worked for the Ares Corporation, a project and risk management firm that works with the Department of Defense, NASA, and the Department of Energy.
- The birds that fell from the sky - West Nile virus
- Corona of death - SARS
- Arroyo Muerte - Sin Nombre Hantavirus
- Outbreaks, reservoirs, and dead end hosts
- Shards of glass in the brain - bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow)
- Out of the shadows - Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaire's disease)
- An ill wind - smallpox
- Natural born killers - why some germs stay bad
- Something in the water - cholera, cryptosporidiosis
- When hours count - but days don't matter - anthrax
- Healer, heal thyself : curing what ails the public health system
- Project BIOWATCH - plague vials vanish in Texas
- A new weapon in the fight
- DNA-based vaccines
- Three ounces of prevention - scenarios involving avian bird flu, bioterrorism using smallpox
- Into a crystal ball, darkly - a look at the future
- App Letter by e-mail to Lev Sandakchiev
|Auteur(s)||Alan P. Zelicoff, Michael Bellomo|
|Nb. de pages||280|
|Format||15,5 x 23,5|
|Intérieur||Noir et Blanc|
Nos clients ont également acheté
- Les meilleures ventes en Graphisme & Photo
- Les meilleures ventes en Informatique
- Les meilleures ventes en Construction
- Les meilleures ventes en Entreprise & Droit
- Les meilleures ventes en Sciences
- Les meilleures ventes en Littérature
- Les meilleures ventes en Arts & Loisirs
- Les meilleures ventes en Vie pratique