Gnuplot in Action
Understanding Data with Graphs
Statistical data is only as valuable as your ability to analyze, interpret, and present it in a meaningful way. Gnuplot is the most widely used program to plot and visualize data for Unix/Linux systems and it is also popular for Windows and the Mac. It's open-source (as in free!), actively maintained, stable, and mature. It can deal with arbitrarily large data sets and is capable of producing high-quality, publication-ready graphics.
So far, the only comprehensive documentation available about gnuplot is the online reference documentation, which makes it both hard to get started and almost impossible to get a complete overview over all of its features. If you've never tried gnuplot-or have found it tough to get your arms around-read on.
Gnuplot in Action is the first comprehensive introduction to gnuplot-from the basics to the power features and beyond. Besides providing a tutorial on gnuplot itself, it demonstrates how to apply and use gnuplot to extract intelligence from data. Particular attention is paid to tricky or poorly-explained areas. You will learn how to apply gnuplot to actual data analysis problems. This book looks at different types of graphs that can be generated with gnuplot and will discuss when and how to use them to extract actual information from data.
One of gnuplot's main advantages is that it requires no programming skills nor knowledge of advanced mathematical or statistical concepts. Gnuplot in Action assumes you have no previous knowledge of either gnuplot or statistics and data analysis. The books starts out with basic gnuplot concepts, then describes in depth how to get a graph ready for final presentation and to make it look "just right" by including arrows, labels, and other decorations.
Next the book looks at advanced concepts, such as multi-dimensional graphs and false-color plots-powerful features for special purposes. The author also describes advanced applications of gnuplot, such as how to script gnuplot so that it can run unattended as a batch job, and how to call gnuplot from within a CGI script to generate graphics for dynamic websites on demand.
Gnuplot in Action makes gnuplot easy for anyone who needs to do data analysis, but doesn't have an education in analytical tools and methods. It's perfect for DBAs, programmers, and performance engineers; business analysts and MBAs; and Six-Sigma Black Belts and process engineers.
L'auteur - Philipp K. Janert
After previous careers in physics and softwaredevelopment, Philipp K. Janert currentlyprovides consulting services for data analysis,algorithm development, and mathematical modeling.He has worked for small start-ups and in largecorporate environments, both in the U.S. andoverseas.
He prefers simple solutions that workto complicated ones that don't, and thinks thatpurpose is more important than process. Philippis the author of "Gnuplot in Action - UnderstandingData with Graphs" (Manning Publications), and haswritten for the O'Reilly Network, IBM developerWorks,and IEEE Software. He is named inventor on a handfulof patents, and is an occasional contributor to CPAN.He holds a Ph.D. in theoretical physics from theUniversity of Washington. Visit his company websiteat www.principal-value.com.
- Creating graphs with gnuplot
- Data transformations and filters
- Preparing/polishing graphs for final presentation
- Publishing graphs in print or on the Web
- Using gnuplot's power features
- Gnuplot scripting and programming
- Types of graphs and when to use them
- Techniques of graphical analysis
- How to build, install, and develop for gnuplot
- Command and Option reference organized by concept
|Auteur(s)||Philipp K. Janert|
|Nb. de pages||366|
|Intérieur||Noir et Blanc|
Nos clients ont également acheté
- Les meilleures ventes en Graphisme & Photo
- Les meilleures ventes en Informatique
- Les meilleures ventes en Construction
- Les meilleures ventes en Entreprise & Droit
- Les meilleures ventes en Sciences
- Les meilleures ventes en Littérature
- Les meilleures ventes en Arts & Loisirs
- Les meilleures ventes en Vie pratique
- Informatique Bases de données Produits SGBD
- Informatique Développement d'applications Conception et développement web Serveurs web et serveurs d'application
- Sciences Mathématiques Mathématiques par matières Analyse Analyse numérique
- Sciences Mathématiques Mathématiques appliquées Mathématiques pour les sciences de la vie Biostatistiques
- Sciences Mathématiques Mathématiques appliquées Méthodes numériques
- Sciences Mathématiques Mathématiques appliquées Statistiques Analyse de données