Written by an expert in the game industry, Christer Ericson's new book is a comprehensive guide to the components of efficient real-time collision detection systems. The book provides the tools and know-how needed to implement industrial-strength collision detection for the highly detailed dynamic environments of applications such as 3D games, virtual reality applications, and physical simulators.
Of the many topics covered, a key focus is on spatial and object partitioning through a wide variety of grids, trees, and sorting methods. The author also presents a large collection of intersection and distance tests for both simple and complex geometric shapes. Sections on vector and matrix algebra provide the background for advanced topics such as Voronoi regions, Minkowski sums, and linear and quadratic programming.
Of utmost importance to programmers but rarely discussed in this much detail in other books are the chapters covering numerical and geometric robustness, both essential topics for collision detection systems. Also unique are the chapters discussing how graphics hardware can assist in collision detection computations and on advanced optimization for modern computer architectures. All in all, this comprehensive book will become the industry standard for years to come.
Features & Benefits
- Presents algorithms and data structures with wide applications to the fields of game development, virtual reality, physically based simulation, CAD/CAM, architectural and scientific visualization, molecular modeling, engineering simulation, GIS, ray tracing, and more.
- Describes tested, real-world methods, liberally illustrated by C & C++ code.
- Reviews necessary concepts from mathematics and computational geometry, and includes extensive references to other sources and research literature.
L'auteur Christer Ericson
Christer Ericson: Sony Computer Entertainment America, Santa Monica, California, U.S.A.
Christer Ericson is a senior principal programmer and the tools and technology lead at Sony Computer Entertainment America in Santa Monica. Before joining Sony in 1999, he was a senior programmer at Neversoft Entertainment. Christer received his Masters degree in computer science from Umeå University, Sweden, where he also lectured for several years before moving to the US in 1996. Christer has served on the advisory board for Full Sail's Game Design and Development degree program since 2002. His interests are varied, but he takes a particular interest in program optimization, a topic he has spoken on at the Game Developers Conference.
- Collision Detection Design Issues
- A Math and Geometry Primer
- Bounding Volumes
- Basic Primitive Tests
- Bounding Volume Hierarchies
- Spatial Partitioning
- BSP Tree Hierarchies
- Convexity-Based Methods
- GPU-Assisted Collision Detection
- Numerical Robustness
- Geometrical Robustness
Caractéristiques techniques du livre "Real-Time Collision Detection"
|Collection||Interactive 3D Technology|
|Nb. de pages||595|
|Format||19,5 x 24|
|Intérieur||Noir et Blanc|
Livraison à partir de 0,01 € en France métropolitaine (1)
Paiement en ligne SÉCURISÉ
Livraison dans le monde
Retour sous 15 jours
+ de 700 000 livres disponibles
- Tous les livres de la collection Interactive 3D Technology de l'éditeur Morgan Kaufmann
- Tous les livres de Christer Ericson
- Informatique Graphisme et multimédia CAO - AUTOCAD
- Informatique Développement d'applications Programmation graphique et multimédia Programmation de jeux
- Sciences Techniques Informatique industrielle CAO - AUTOCAD
- Graphisme & Photo Graphisme 3D Réalité virtuelle
- Graphisme & Photo Graphisme 3D Direct X et Direct 3D